Robeson County Addresses the "Interest Gap" in Manufacturing
A "Made in Robeson County" video spearheaded by area businesses with community college and other workforce development partners is dispelling myths youths hold about the manufacturing industry and manufacturing jobs. The video was shared with about 600 high school parents in February 2016, along with a discussion of technical careers in the area and available scholarships for relevant education and training.
Align4NCWorks Collective Impact Teams Convene, Tackle Action Items
Interagency teams of workforce/education partners have been meeting to tackle strategic plan action items related to work-based learning, career pathways, credentials, college access, and use of data and best practices in decision making.
Meanwhile, regional "Boots on the Ground" teams have been "living the dream" of Align4NCWorks, carrying out regional initiatives that promote the strategic plan's goals. Examples include the creation of a regional welding training initiative with employers, the development of an "instructors in industry" pilot, and the replication of Extreme STEM tours (career exposure).
Check back often for the lastest updates and news surrounding Align4NCWorks.
Report on Career Pathway Grants Released
A report on the first year of Career and Technical Education (CTE) Career Pathway Grants was released in December 2015. The grant program was developed by the NC Community College System and the NC Department of Public Instruction with $700,000 of federal Perkins post-secondary leadership funds. Grant projects are now in their second year. The grants are based on many of the principles of Align4NCWorks.
Sources for the Align4NCWorks "Plan of Plans"
The Align4NCWorks strategic plan for the community colleges was based on the following strategic plans or vision documents:
- NCWorks 2014-16 Strategic Action Plan: Preparing North Carolina's Workforce for Today and Tomorrow (NCWorks Commission)
- North Carolina Jobs Plan: Recommended Strategies for Economic Growth, 2014-2024 (North Carolina Economic Development Board)
- State Board of Education Strategic Plan (updated 12/2015) and Dept. of Public Instruction Divisional Priority Goals and Activities
- UNC System Strategic Plan: Our Time, Our Future...Strategic Directions 2013-18
- NC Chamber: North Carolina Vision 2013: Four Pillars of a Secure Future
- BEST NC (Business for Educational Success and Transformation): work group recommendations and draft vision, developed in preparation for Excellence: North Carolina's Education Vision (September 2015)