Research studies prove that the quality of instruction has the greatest impact on student performance. As a result, federal and state agencies, in addition to other national organizations, require higher standards for instructors. In 2012, the Program and Professional Development Team established a process and credentialing system to train instructors in evidence-based teaching methodologies. These include the learning philosophies and frameworks that are unique to adult education and literacy activities. The credentialing courses and credentialing process funded through the NC Community College System and are accessible to all full or part-time basic skills instructors or community-based volunteers. Each of the CEU courses may be taken as stand-alone credit or combined to earn one of the certifications:
- College and Career Readiness Core Certificate
- Adult Secondary Education (ASE) Specialty Certificate
- College and Career Readiness ESOL Specialty Certificate
Once you have discussed your professional development goals or needs with your coordinator or director, you may register. Courses are limited to 25 participants and must have a minimum of 12 participants. It is extremely important to attend all courses for which you register. If you are unable to attend, please give notification at least two weeks in advance before the course start date. As with all college courses, walk-ins or substitutions are not allowed. Participants must attend the entire course to receive a course completion certificate or CEU-credit.
Spring 2017 Director's Institute
The Institute addressed a few of the individual WIOA components to a) be clear on what each means and b) examine options for operationalizing each in your program. The three components for this discussion are 1) WIOA Partners’ Roles and Responsibilities, 2) IET & IELCE and 3) Monitoring Key Program Components for Performance. Resources are below.
- Did You Know?
- NC Leadership Resources
- Partner Roles and Responsibilities
- WIOA Partnership Collaboration Checklist
- Teamwork NC Core Partner Working Papers
- State Agencies and Partners
- Coordinated Funding Streams
- Going to Scale
- Integrated Education and Training
- Integrated Education and Training brief
- Integrated Education and Training Checklist
- Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education Checklist
- Instructors Monthly Class Analysis
- English Language Learners
- Poverty and Economic Mobility
- Special Learning Needs