Students from some of North Carolina’s 58 community colleges are receiving “The Great within the 58” awards for educational excellence this spring.
Leon N. Bradford II from Durham Technical Community College is recipient of the 2021 Dallas Herring Achievement Award. The award was established in 2010 by the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) to honor the late Dr. Dallas Herring whose philosophy of “taking people where they are and carrying them as far as they can go” is the guiding principle of the system. The award is given annually to a current or former community college student who best embodies Dr. Herring’s philosophy. Bradford was chosen by a committee of the NC Student Develop Administrator Association (SDAA).
Megan Ramsey from Sandhills Community College is the overall winner of the Governor Robert W. Scott Student Leadership Award. Each community college nominates one student who is enrolled at least half-time, in good academic standing, and have a current GPA of at least 2.5. Each student nominated is active in campus activities and possess traits that will help them be or become leaders in their communities. Applicants were considered and award winners were chosen by the NC Instructional Administrators Association. The Regional Finalists for the award are:
- Region 1, Madeline Rose Metz, Southwestern Community College
- Region 2, Damola Ogunyomi, Rowan Cabarrus Community College
- Region 3, Kimera Naidoo, Alamance Community College
- Region 4, Megan Ramsey, Sandhills Community College
- Region 5, Mackenzie Park, Southeastern Community College
- Region 6, Sharnelle W. Pittman, Edgecombe Community College
“Education equals opportunity,” said NCCCS President Thomas Stith. “Clearly these students excelled beyond their program classes to become award winners in leadership, which shows promise in great opportunities as these students further their education and enter the workforce. Well done to all.”
- Alamance Community College – Ed Williams, Edward.Williams@alamancecc.edu
- Durham Technical Community College, Nathan Hardin, email@example.com
- Edgecombe Community College, Mary Tom Bass, firstname.lastname@example.org
- NC Community College System – Sharon Gladwell, email@example.com
- Sandhills Community College, Karen Manning, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southeastern Community College, Haylee Damato, email@example.com