North Carolina Community College System announces State Board Award winners
RALEIGH – The North Carolina Community College System and State Board of Community Colleges have selected the recipients for this year’s prestigious statewide excellence awards.
The State Board Awards recognize the top-performing individuals and partners that best represent the North Carolina Community College System and its mission to provide accessible, high-quality education and service.
For 2022-23, the following recognitions were awarded:
- Excellence in Teaching – Dr. Kara Finch, Stanly Community College;
- Staff Person of the Year – Dr. Sara Newcomb, Central Carolina Community College;
- President of the Year – Dr. Mark Poarch, Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute.
Two Distinguished Partners were awarded:
- CaroMont Health with Gaston Community College;
- Centro Unido Latino Americano (CULA) with McDowell Technical Community College and Isothermal Community College.
In addition, the I.E. Ready Award for significant statewide contribution to the North Carolina Community College System was awarded to Julian Philpott of Central Carolina Community College.
“Congratulations to our award winners across the state and I thank you for your tremendous effort and impact in making North Carolina community colleges successful,” said Dr. Bill Carver, Interim President of the North Carolina Community College System. “We had very strong nominations this year, which are indicative of the incredible work and success at our 58 community colleges.”
Read more about the State Board Awards on the System website