Rachel Yvette Mercantini
I began classes at Isothermal Community College after being out of school for over 10 years. I knew I wanted to continue my education, but was unsure at the time if I could do it while raising a young child. After careful consideration and discussion, I decided to leave my job where I had worked for twelve years to pursue my college degree. My now three-year old daughter is the motivation that I needed to achieve this goal. I want to serve as an example for her as well as help to provide a better future for our family.
Attending Isothermal Community College has been the best decision I could have made. Before applying at ICC I was feeling broken, but now I have the confidence to conquer anything. The instructors, staff, and administration at ICC are dedicated to educating and supporting the students.
I have maintained a 4.0 GPA since beginning at ICC while being involved in and achieving the following:
- President of Phi Beta Lambda 2015-2016
- Member of National Technical Honor Society (former secretary/treasurer)
- Member of Phi Theta Kappa
- Member of the Ivy Cowan Leadership Institute (partnership of ICC and Gardner-Webb University)
- Mentor in the Peer2Peer Mentorship Program
- Member of the SACSCOC student focus group
- Placed 3rd at the PBL State conference
- Received the 2014 Business Sciences Outstanding student award
- Dean’s list all full-time semesters attended
- Student Services work-study
None of this would have been possible without the support I have received from my family. My husband, parents, and in-laws have not only supported me, they have also encouraged me when I didn’t think I could handle any more. Not, only have I received support from my family, but my instructors have provided endless encouragement and opportunities to succeed.