The NC Community College System recognizes that effective academic advising is at the core of student success. Academic advising is a collaborative process which assists students in the clarification of career goals and development of educational plans to realize those goals. Academic advising maximizes individual potential by
- Providing integrated and targeted supports and interventions when they are most effective.
- Aiding student’s progress through programs that lead to valuable credentials, without unnecessary detours.
- Assisting students in making informed decisions which result in understanding the requirements and processes to succeed.
Advising Mission Statement
(credit to the N3C2A organization)
Advising is an essential part of the North Carolina Community College student experience. Quality advising provides a holistic approach that teaches students to identify and achieve their personal, educational, and career goals. Quality advising is an ongoing, collaborative process between students and well-trained advisors whereby students are connected with appropriate resources and equipped to become confident, responsible, and reflective learners. Quality advising is fostered through institutional support for the onboarding and continuous development of advising personnel and for the access to appropriate advising resources.
NCCCS Advising Toolkit
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA)
- NACADA Journal
- Journal of Academic Advising (Indiana University)
- The Mentor (Penn State)
- UNC Transfer Toolbox
- National Institute for the Study of Transfer Students
- CAS Standards for Academic Advising
Cultivating a Culture of Care Through Advising – Dr. Cynthia Pascal / Dr. Seth Bridgen - NACADA
Avoiding the Student Run Around - Derrick Satterfield - Rockingham CC
Campus and Community Resources for Students in Crisis and Distress - Bill Bondurant - Craven CC
The Evolution of Advising at a Community College - Seth Buchanan - Central CCC
North Carolina Advising Associations
- North Carolina Community College Advising Association (N3C2A) is a statewide association for community college advisors. To join please email N3C2Advising@gmail.com.
- The College Transfer Program Association (CTPA) is a statewide network of community college and four-year university professionals concerned with transfer. To join please e-mail your name, job title, organization, and e-mail address to email@example.com.
- North Carolina Community College Adult Educators Association vigorously promotes the concept of continued, lifelong learning for all citizens, as well as promoting sound management practices in the areas of adult education.
- North Carolina Community College Student Development Personnel Association (N3CSDPA) serves as a resource and support to Student Services professionals throughout the North Carolina Community College System.
- North Carolina Student Development Administrators Association (SDAA) serves as the voice of Student Development Administrators of Community Colleges in North Carolina.