A significant number of occupations in North Carolina require licensure and/or certification as a prerequisite to employment. Licensure and certifications are granted by an independent agency or board, not the Community College System. For many of these occupations the educational requirement consists of short term courses. The link below takes you to the NC Department of Commerce website for occupational licenses.
Many occupations require industry credentials as a prerequisite to employment or advancement. North Carolina community colleges offer short-term training programs aligned to prepare students to acquire many of these high demand workforce credentials. The links below take you to various credential websites.
- American Welding Society (AWS)
- Manufacturing Skill Standards Council (MSSC)
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER)
- National Institute for Metalworking Skills (NIMS)
- National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE)
- Microsoft Office
- Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute (PMMI)
- SKillsUSA Workforce Ready System